Residents Businesses Visitors Government Search Directory Home
Office of Community Development

Community Development Home
Line Break
Rebuilding Healthy Homes After Flooding
Line Break
Line Break
Housing Programs
Line Break
Community Partners
Line Break
Plans and Reports
Line Break
Fair Housing
Line Break
Homeless Assistance
Line Break

Sewer Line Assistance Program

The City-Parish conducts test of sewer lines in order to locate leaks that may result in rain water entering the water system. These tests may identify leaks in service lines that are located on private property.

The City-Parish Code, under a mandate by the Federal Environmental Protection Agency, makes it the responsibility of property owners to maintain service lines on private property, including the repair of any cracks, leaks, or illegal connections to the sanitary sewer system. Any such repairs must be made in a manner that complies with the City-Parish Plumbing Code. If repairs are not properly made, the City-Parish may cause utility service to the property to be discontinued.

What Happens if the Homeowner Cannot Afford Sewer Repairs?

Assistance for low income homeowners may be available through the City-Parish Community Development Block Grant Program, a Federal Grant Program through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. It is administered by the City-Parish Office of Community Development. The provision of assistance under this program is subject to availability of funds. Following is a description of the requirements and procedures for assistance.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. Assistance is only available to low income owner-occupants whose principal residence is on property with an identified sewer line defect.
  1. Applicants must meet the income requirements that have been established for the sewer repair program.
  1. Applicants must have received a notice from the City-Parish stating that a leak/defect has been identified on the property owner's property and that it must be corrected.

Program Restrictions

  1. Assistance is restricted to only those repairs necessary to correct the defects in the sanitary sewer line(s) on the property. No assistance is provided to reimburse a homeowner for prior repair costs incurred by the homeowner.
  1. Repair assistance is restricted to the actual cost of repairs.
  1. All assisted repairs will be undertaken by licensed, master plumbers who are selected and contracted by the City-Parish.
  1. Before assistance is provided, an eligible homeowner must file an application with the City-Parish Office of Community Development. The provision of assistance is subject to determination by that office that the applicant meets all requirements for eligibility.

How Do I Apply For Assistance?

  1. A low income homeowner, who receives a letter from the City-Parish stating that there may be sanitary sewer line defects on the resident's property may write or call the City-Parish Office of Community Development and request an Application for Assistance. (Address is P.O. Box 1471, Baton Rouge, LA 70821; 389-3039).
  1. An appointment with the homeowner will be scheduled for an application.
  1. For the application, the property owner must be prepared to identify all amounts and sources of income to the household. Written authorization for the Office of Community Development to independently verify all information on the application will be required.
  1. Before determination of assistance, OCD will verify income and home ownership of the applicant. Applicants found to be eligible will be provided with written notice. A signed certification agreeing to the terms of the assistance is required from the applicant(s).
  1. Assistance to eligible applicants is in the form of a grant. That is, there is no lien on the property nor any repayment requirement, provided that the applicant complies with all terms of the assistance.
  1. Repairs will be contracted and scheduled by the City-Parish. Homeowners will be notified prior to the start of work.
  1. Upon completion of the repairs, written notice will be provided to the homeowner.

What are the Income Limits? This document is in PDF format.  Download the free viewer from

Income is in terms of gross average monthly income. In order to be eligible, applicants must have a gross average monthly income below that listed at the above link for the family size of the applicant.

Where Do I Apply?

Contact the Office of Community Development and ask to speak to the Community Service Officer.

Phone:(225) 389-3039   TDD: (225) 389-3982