Residents Businesses Visitors Government Search Directory Home
Department of Public Works

222 Saint Louis St.
8th Floor, Room 880
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
(225) 389-3158 Office
(225) 389-5391 Fax
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. M-F

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works Seal

Sold Waste Management Consultants
Garbage and Recycling Contractor's Workshop - April 17th Presentation

The Department of Public Works is responsible for a wide variety of activities within the Parish including maintenance of streets and roads, maintenance and operation of drainage facilities, sewer collection lines, maintenance and operation of sewer treatment facilities, coordination of environmental activities, building code enforcement, construction inspection and approval, maintenance of public buildings, operation of a central garage, engineering services for construction projects including design and supervision, traffic control device maintenance, traffic control engineering.

Red Stick 311 Red Stick 311 Smartphone and Web App New tools provide direct connection between our Citizens and City-Parish government to request services and report issues in real-time and while “on the go."

To request services or to register a complaint by phone dial  311 or 389-3090.

Automated Garbage/Recycling Services!

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit to add onto my house? If so, whom do I call?

All general remodeling, structural remodeling, construction additions to existing structures, or detached accessory structures require a building permit. Permits for electrical, plumbing and mechanical work may also be required, depending on the scope of work. A licensed contractor or the homeowner may obtain permits.

The following are examples of work that would not require permits:

  • floor coverings (carpet, vinyl tile, ceramic tile, etc.);
  • roof replacement;
  • repair or replacing sheet rock;
  • paneling, soffit or fascia board (less than one side wall); or
  • accessory structure less than 100 square feet on skid.

Please contact 389-3226 at the Inspection Division or visit DPW Permit and Inspection Division site to determine whether a permit is needed.

Who do I call about stop signs or traffic signals?

To report issues concerning street signs or signals (including stolen, damaged, non-reflective, or misspelled signs or to request new signs or signals), please call 3-1-1 Call Center, (225) 389-3090 or submit online at the Red Stick 311 and submit a Citizen's Request for Service. The 3-1-1 Call Center will route the complaint to the Traffic Engineering Division of the Department of Public Works that is responsible for all traffic control devices.

Please note:
When new signs or traffic signals are requested, the Traffic Engineering Division will conduct a feasibility study that is usually concluded in 45-60 days.

Who do I call to report potholes?

Please call 3-1-1 to report the problem to the 3-1-1 Call Center, (225) 389-3090 or submit online at the Red Stick 311 click on Request for Service. They will forward the concern to DPW's Street Maintenance Division that repairs potholes on local roadways. This division also repairs low shoulders and concrete panels.

Who should I call for sewer related concerns?

The Department of Public Works Wastewater Division (Wastewater Collection Systems and Wastewater Treatment) is responsible for all sewer activities including sewer cave-ins, stoppages and backups. Sewer stop pages are handled immediately.

The Department of Public Works’ staff or a private contractor repairs all sewer cave-ins. Based on the investigation of the complaint, prepares a report and then schedules the job for repair by either in-house staff or a private contractor. They may be reached at (225) 389-4858.

Citizens with sewer related issues can contact the Public Works Wastewater Collection Office at (225) 389-4858 Monday through Friday (8 a.m.–3 p.m.) or submit a request online 24 hours a day at the Red Stick 311. Citizens with sewer related issues that occur after hours will need to contact the Public Works Dispatcher at (225) 389-2070. The working hours for the Public Works Dispatcher are 3 p.m.–11 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m.–11 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Who do I call about a parade permit or a street closure?

The Department of Public Works Traffic Engineering Division is responsible for parades, block parties and street closures. Appropriate forms for such requests are available at the Traffic Engineering Division. Each request is reviewed to minimize the impact to the motoring public who may be inconvenienced due to the request. Approval is also needed from Police, Fire and EMS for safety reasons. On some occasions approval is required from the Metropolitan Council, if alcohol is sold on the street right-of-ways. You should contact the Traffic Engineering Division for these types of requests at (225) 389-3246.